Saturday, January 10, 2009

Poem by Mebane Robertson

Boy

One thing I fear is not so much
The usual awful feelings. It is the plain silliness
That sometimes comes over me
When I am feeling nice and comfortable.

I have been burned badly
Often when being giddy,
And am most open to being harmed
When I am madly laughing.

I will always make this bed neatly, tuck
The four corners in tight before I crawl
Under it, where I hide
Some pieces of a light I broke, where nobody

Will look. But if they make me explain,
What will I say? All the king's horses
And all the king's men? When the days in store
Would teach me the lesson without their help?


[Poem from Mebane's book Signal from Draco, out from Black Widow Press. Mebane's work has appeared previously on Green Hill, and he is currently featured online at Able Muse. This poem is published by permission of the author.]

No comments: