Thursday, October 23, 2014

Poems by Virginia Dodenhoff

Someone told me once that the reason we live on this earth is to find happiness, bliss, nirvana.
People say that happiness does not exist.
But my friend said he found it the other day when he looked into the eyes of the girl he loved.
Some kid was laughing.
Is that not happiness?
Happiness is freedom.
It’s letting go.
This world is hard.
We do what we don’t want to do. 
That’s how the world works.
Unfortunately.
Life isn’t easy.
Life isn’t fair.
Those who work their asses off win.
They get what they want.
People who give in will lose. 
They will lose all that they have.
“What is happiness?”
That’s what they’ll ask.
“I don’t this there is such thing as ‘happiness.’”
But that’s because they’re lazy.
I’ve heard it said that if you just say “yes,” you can figure it out later.
People constantly do things they don’t want to do.
But,
Will that lead to happiness, bliss, nirvana?




Carrying things

Sure, I carry things.
I always have a Bible, a pen, a journal.
Maybe some chapstick
Some mints.
My phone, my sunglasses, my hopes.
A book my friend suggested to me.
My past.
My future.
I also tend to carry a water bottle and my keys.
I like having those things that make your chopsticks work without trying.
Regret, guilt, temptation.
Every now and then I’ll bring my laptop with me.
How you call me “fat” almost everyday.
I also like to bring some mascara.
The Hobbit, because I started it last March and I still have yet to finish it.
Scars.
Hatred.
I carry my wallet,
It’s filled with money, coins, a smoothie punch card I use at the gym when I get protein shakes.
Calluses.
Blisters.
My Prayer box.
Another pen.
A pencil.
An iPod.
Headphones.
Fear.
Stress.
Deodorant.
The schedule for the Saints’ season. (We aren’t making it to the super bowl this year.)
Oh, how could I forget?
I always carry a smile. 
Yes,
A smile.
It covers all those things I carry.


No comments: