Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From the long overdue (re)readings (VII)

When I consider my own nature, my conscious, thinking self, my soul, in other words, I find that it contains the idea of the most perfect being - the idea of God. Since I myself am not perfect (the very fact of my doubting is proof of this, if proof were needed), I could not have come up with such an idea on my own, so it cannot be a figment of my imagination. But it must come from somewhere; I can only conclude, therefore, that it must have been implanted in my mind by the very being of which it is the idea, namely God. Therefore God exists.

- Leszek Kolakowski on Descartes in Why is there something rather than nothing? Trans. Agnieszka Kolakowska


Reality is not something that allows itself to be completely contained in form. Form is not in harmony with the essence of life, but all thought which tries to describe this imperfection also becomes form and thereby confirms our striving for it.

- Witold Gombrowicz, Cosmos. Trans. Danuta Borchardt

No comments: