Tuesday, April 5, 2011

To Distraction by Cecilia Young

Distraction, why do you follow me?
Evening now, time for real work
And instead I sit down
To work on thinking...
Thinking about not working, and THEN
Writing it all as the sun sinks down,
Down. What was that homework I didn't hear about?
Nevermind. Nevermind. I'd rather just
write.
As thoughts come and go
Clouds smear the sky, which is so many colors
But a blank canvas
Like my mind, right now, early evening.
The clouds are my thoughts.
I have a letter to write
And polynomials to factor,
History questions that must be answered,
This and that,
The digestive tract,
Anatomy review tomorrow.
And English? Distraction.
Because this is work, but not really.
I could be working on work
But I prefer
Working on thinking
Thinking about not working
Everything in between,
And writing.

No comments: